SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is an important technique of digital marketing to improve your website’s presence. In simple terms, it is to get your website rank better on search engine listing pages, so as to get relevant traffic to your website free of cost.
Some of the simple tips for improving the SEO of your website are mentioned below:
- Backlink (Hyperlink Back to a Webpage) aka Inbound Links – One of the techniques of improving the site’s authenticity for better SEO performance is Backlinking, which means providing authentic, valid and quality backlinks on your website. Actually many search engines (like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.) give more credit and preference to websites with quality backlinks because quality backlinks sort of indicate the popularity, importance and relevancy of the website.
Note: Please do not add unnecessary backlinks to the website. It may lead to penalization from search engines. Remember it is more about quality than quantity.
- Content – ‘Content is King.’ That’s the truth. Why do people come to a site, for example, a blog? Why? The answer is very simple – to know something or to learn something and what makes them stay at your site is the authenticity, relevancy and usefulness of the content on the website.
- First is to provide relevant information, which is free of contextual, grammatical, spelling and factual errors.
- Second is providing content that is unique. Your content may be free from any sort of errors and is of good quality and is relevant; however, if it is copied from some other site, then it is of no use.
- Third is if the content is informational, naturally people will like it, share it and give their opinions on the same, thus sort of creating word-of-mouth for your work.
Note: Please ensure your content is free of spelling and grammar errors and is not at all copied. Read more about duplicate content at Google Support – https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en
- Keyword – Now comes how to provide what the audience is looking for. Post that comes how people will land on your website. Now here for better rankings, you need to work to understand how people search. So, you need to do a thorough keyword research and introduce the keywords in a relevant manner within your content on your website (Website Title, Headings Tag, Meta Tag, Meta Description, Webpage Content, Alt Image Tag,) Also remember images, videos and animations cannot be read by search engines by the way content is, so alt tag them.
Note: Remember not to unnecessarily add keywords, otherwise you may attract penalty from the search engine. Read more about irrelevant keywords at Google Support – https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66358?hl=en
- Make Site Mobile-Friendly (Responsive) – It is important now to make your site mobile-friendly. The number of search queries from mobiles has been increasing day by day. As per TechCrunch in 2015, “Google’s search chief Amit Singhal said for the first time this summer, more Google searches were completed on mobile devices than desktop computers”, thus you need to make sure your website is mobile-friendly, because that’s where your audience is.
- Regular Fresh Content Updates – It is important to update the content on your website regularly because search engines give more credit to up-to-date, current website.
- Monitor Website Performance – You can monitor your site’s performance using Google Analytics and Google Search Console. (I may be little biased here as I am using these two tools to manage my sites. These are very easy to understand and use. Also there is Google Academy that offers learning opportunities free of cost. Explore more at https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/ )
- Google Analytics – Google defines Google Search Console as a free service offered by Google that helps you monitor and maintain your site’s presence in Google Search results. (Link for Google Analytics is https://analytics.google.com/)
- Google Search Console – Wikipedia defines Google Analytics as a freemium web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. It would be great if you can incorporate all the suggestions given by Search Console once your register your site there. (Link for Google Search Console is https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/)
I will keep on updating this article as I discover and learn more. Please share your suggestions with me. I really like learning new stuff and sharing the same with all.